Skip to main content

How to Practice Contentment...

Free Yin Yoga Video HERE
 

Hello lovely people,

     Today is a new day!

 Each morning that we are blessed enough to wake up here on planet earth we are given a fresh start. This gives us a chance to focus on not only what we want to do with the day but also how we want to be in this day.

  The to-do list can be easily written. Think about everything you really desire and then find ways to take steps however big or small towards those changes.

   The to-be list is all to often forgotten. 

While you are doing what you are doing, are you doing it with grace and ease...or with pressure and stress?

Are you enjoying the journey... or are you missing the juicy-ness hidden in each moment?

Are you practising contentment - or are you hoping it will arrive after you have accomplished all the things you want? (....This never happens by the way!)


Santosha is a Sanskrit word that roughly translates as contentment. It is the second of the Niyamas - (A system of spiritual suggestions outlined by the sage Patanjali in The Yoga Sutras)

   It is very human to look to the next thing- to be constantly looking for ways to improve, evolve and expand. Even our neuroanatomy gears us constantly towards endlessly searching. Did you know that our levels of Dopamine (a neurotransmitter associated with experiencing happiness) are at their highest just before we get something that we want, and then drop immediately upon receiving the thing we want! Leading us on a chemical trail of always wanting to move on to the next thing- the next high. 

   Santosha is the practice of contentment. It is learning to train the mind to feel satisfied with what is. It is a habit we can cultivate and an attitude we can bring to each and every day, by simply choosing to accept the moment as it is and feel satisfied with what it. It is the practice of relaxing in to the present moment and allowing happiness to arise, rather than waiting for this or that milestone before we allow ourselves a few brief moments before the next desire inevitably arises. 

   Santosha is the practice of taking a good look around and wanting what you have- rather than seeking to find ways to have what you want. 

For me, gratitude is a huge part of Santosha, but it has a slightly different flavour. Gratitude lists can be a wonderful way to pass the time, but in a sense, they still are an external practice- a doing, a finding of reasons to feel happy and content. Santosha, on the other hand, is an attitude. It is a decision to allow the warm feeling of contentment into your heart and to approach every activity you do with this feeling.  

I hope you enjoy today's free yoga class: A gentle Yin Yoga Session for Relaxation and that you are able to feel the beauty of practising a little contentment today.

  Namaste,

     :) s

     

#yinyoga #freeyoga #relaxingyoga #contentment #santosha


To support Yoga with Sacha, access special content AND monthly live sessions  become a Patron at:  www.Patreon.com/yogawithsacha


Find out about music, retreats, one to one sessions and much more at:

 www.YogaWithSacha.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you surrender to... & what do you resist?

Here's this weeks video: Yoga For Surrender Hello Beautiful Soul,      How are you?       Here we are again- meeting in this virtual world, co-creating this moment together - right now while the external world does its thing.      These past few weeks I have been thinking a lot about presence/ mindfulness/ the simple, powerful tool of embracing the present moment.     To the best of my (rather limited) ability I've been surrounding to this moment- no matter how different things may turn out then what I planned and no matter how hard things may seem out there in the world... or in here in my own mind.     I keep observing that resisting the way things are does not change them, but only brings stress to me.  So why resist?!  What happens if I just surrender and allow it all to be?-  All the beauty. All the pain. Just allowing everything to be as it is in this moment and then from this place I can choose (very carefully) what I wish to do and what I wish to

Time to reconnect...

  Here is a link to my latest free Mantra Video:  Radha Ramana Haribol    Hello Beautiful People,  It's good to be back!  I don't know about you but for me, life at the moment feels very full once again :)  Having an 8-month-old baby is always going to be lots of work I suppose... but even aside from this the summer atmosphere is in full swing, many people surround me and many possible creative projects beckon.  I am learning to surrender my expectations and enjoy the ride - and I am also learning to prioritise: This means saying yes to the things that really matter and to say no to the things that simply do not fit on my plate at the moment. I struggle with this one, at any point in time there are around 4000 things I would love to do! But my baby is teaching me that improving the quality of my life can happen when I reduce the quantity of things that I do and simply focus on what matters- with my whole heart and soul.     For me yoga and mantras matter.  Here is a link to m

Enjoy it! Week 4 The Morning Ten 31 Day Yoga Challenge

  How are you? Welcome to week 4 of The Morning Ten- your invitation to practice 31 days of yoga (including meditation and mantras)... even if that simply means practising for just 10 minutes a day :)  This week the invitation is to enjoy it! Enjoy the practices, enjoy  the amazing body that enables you to live your life,  and enjoy the present moment and all the experiences that can be found right here, right now.   A few questions to reflect upon are: What do you enjoy? What gives you pleasure? What gives you lasting happiness? Is there anything you can incorporate more of (or less of) in your life to increase your sense of enjoyment? For me I'm very much enjoying stealing moments away from my little one to work, play, meditate and practice yoga! I'm also practicing really enjoying many of the common things that I can do without thinking- feeding the baby, taking a shower, walking the dogs... it is lovely to remember to squeeze all the juice out of the simple things :)  See b