Skip to main content

3 Ways to Cultivate Inner Freedom



     This week's Free yoga practise is right HERE for you. 


Hello beautiful soul,
    How are you? 


Another week of this strange life. 
Another week of external restrictions. 
Another week of being at home. 

What does being at home mean anyway?!
 Is it a physical place, an emotional place or even a spiritual one? 

Are you spending this time climbing the walls or digging deep? 

  I find my personal experience of being at home is changing hour by hour! I can say only one thing for sure: External freedom is rather limited for all of us right now, and so I'm following the advice of all the Yogic and Buddhist masters I have ever read and trying my humble best to cultivate some inner freedom

   "Inner freedom is not guided by our efforts; it comes from seeing what is true."
- Gautama Buddha

     Each and every one of us has unlimited potential. So what happens if we turn this potential inward? And rather than chasing the monkey-mind from one external goal to another, we look for ways to find freedom and joy within ourselves. Right now. In this very moment. 

    Here are 3 simple practises to cultivate inner freedom: 

1. Practice Acceptance: 

Before we can come into a place of freedom, we must first come out of resistance.  Fighting with what is, is ultimately futile, so step one must be to make friends with the present moment.
     Can you allow everything in your life to be as it is in this moment? This doesn't mean that you can't change things in the future, but it means accepting the past. Accept that you have done your best, for better or worse. Accept that things are exactly as they are, and allow yourself to see what is true for you right now. From this place you can best decide how you want to go forwards. 

2. Practice Love: 

Love is the highest state we can occupy. All of our actions are subconsciously trying to move us either towards the experiences that we love (or away from the experiences that we fear).  But we don't need to sit around and wait for love to come and find us! It is a verb. We can choose to practice love anytime, anywhere :)  
       Can you be kind to yourself in this moment? Can you treat yourself and others with love today? Can you practise love and gratitude for everything from the food you eat to the wisdom within you?
 Love without limits my friends, if we can all do this then everything changes for the better- immediately. 

3. Practice Yoga and Meditation:

Freedom lies beyond the limits of our minds. Take the time each day to go within, and attempt to focus your mind on something (anything!) with single-pointed awareness. It has been said time and time again by pretty much every luminary since the invention of words! Cut all suffering off right at the roots and practice stilling your mind.  
   Yes, sometimes watching the mind wander around is painful/boring/emotional/(insert own unpleasant adjective here!). But the calm follows the storm. Little by little, through yoga and meditation we can learn to still the mind, enter the fullness of the present moment, transcend the fears from the past and the worries for the future and live in a place of inner freedom. 
     This week's Free yoga practise is right HERE for you. 

      Wishing you many moments of inner freedom in this moment and the days that come. 
       Namaste,
         :) s

    




  

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy it! Week 4 The Morning Ten 31 Day Yoga Challenge

  How are you? Welcome to week 4 of The Morning Ten- your invitation to practice 31 days of yoga (including meditation and mantras)... even if that simply means practising for just 10 minutes a day :)  This week the invitation is to enjoy it! Enjoy the practices, enjoy  the amazing body that enables you to live your life,  and enjoy the present moment and all the experiences that can be found right here, right now.   A few questions to reflect upon are: What do you enjoy? What gives you pleasure? What gives you lasting happiness? Is there anything you can incorporate more of (or less of) in your life to increase your sense of enjoyment? For me I'm very much enjoying stealing moments away from my little one to work, play, meditate and practice yoga! I'm also practicing really enjoying many of the common things that I can do without thinking- feeding the baby, taking a shower, walking the dogs... it is lovely to remember to squeeze all the juice out of the simple things :)  See b

What do you surrender to... & what do you resist?

Here's this weeks video: Yoga For Surrender Hello Beautiful Soul,      How are you?       Here we are again- meeting in this virtual world, co-creating this moment together - right now while the external world does its thing.      These past few weeks I have been thinking a lot about presence/ mindfulness/ the simple, powerful tool of embracing the present moment.     To the best of my (rather limited) ability I've been surrounding to this moment- no matter how different things may turn out then what I planned and no matter how hard things may seem out there in the world... or in here in my own mind.     I keep observing that resisting the way things are does not change them, but only brings stress to me.  So why resist?!  What happens if I just surrender and allow it all to be?-  All the beauty. All the pain. Just allowing everything to be as it is in this moment and then from this place I can choose (very carefully) what I wish to do and what I wish to

Time to reconnect...

  Here is a link to my latest free Mantra Video:  Radha Ramana Haribol    Hello Beautiful People,  It's good to be back!  I don't know about you but for me, life at the moment feels very full once again :)  Having an 8-month-old baby is always going to be lots of work I suppose... but even aside from this the summer atmosphere is in full swing, many people surround me and many possible creative projects beckon.  I am learning to surrender my expectations and enjoy the ride - and I am also learning to prioritise: This means saying yes to the things that really matter and to say no to the things that simply do not fit on my plate at the moment. I struggle with this one, at any point in time there are around 4000 things I would love to do! But my baby is teaching me that improving the quality of my life can happen when I reduce the quantity of things that I do and simply focus on what matters- with my whole heart and soul.     For me yoga and mantras matter.  Here is a link to m